Work for Us
Working at the Deaf Academy, you can be certain that you are part of a team that does its utmost to inspire and enable our young people to thrive. Whilst with us, our students acquire the skills necessary to embark upon their next steps with confidence, becoming independent and resilient young adults. Preparing young people for a happy, healthy and fulfilling future is what it’s all about for us.
Be it preparing them for the world of work, or learning to travel or to live independently, we believe that facing challenges with the necessary skills and support develops character – and our students have that in bucket loads!
Our students want to make a difference in the world they live in and they do; they are part of a close-knit and supportive community, where many long-lasting friendships are made. Our learners and staff are unafraid of challenging a society which they may sometimes feel does not appreciate or consider the rights of Deaf people as it should. It is always inspiring to watch young people grow in confidence and know that they can and will make a difference.
As a member of the Deaf Academy team, you will believe that with each day there comes a new opportunity to learn, triumph, and overcome obstacles. You will be passionate about what you do – and positivity is contagious!
Visit us and come and see for yourself. You will be sure to receive a very warm welcome.
Sylvan Dewing, Principal
Career Development and Training
Since education is a fundamental element of the Deaf Academy, we naturally care deeply about the careers and personal development of our staff.
There are a range of opportunities available to ensure you progress personally and professionally during your time at the Academy. A number of our current managers have been promoted from within.
As an Academy employee you’ll benefit from:
- A structured induction programme, to make you feel welcome and part of our team
- An annual performance and development review, to help identify your career aspirations and structure your individual development plan
- Training seminars and courses geared to the skills required for specific roles;
- Mentoring opportunities to support your career development
- Diverse job opportunities, giving you great flexibility in choosing a career path to suit your changing interests and ambitions
- The opportunity to complete professional qualifications, for example, Teacher of the Deaf and Level 5 in Health and Social Care, which are geared to specific roles;
- The opportunity to study British Sign Language (BSL) up to Level 3.
Our diverse job opportunities include a generous benefits package that includes many features that are hard to find in the private sector:
- Competitive salaries
- 30 days annual leave (pro-rata)
- Teaching staff with QTS/QTLS: Access to the Teachers’ Pension Scheme where applicable
- Non-teaching staff: A contributory pension scheme including an 8% contribution by the Academy
- 24/7 employee assistance programme
- Life assurance scheme
- Free car parking on site
- £2 subsidised lunches on site
- Cycle to work scheme
- Season ticket loan scheme
- Staff refer a friend scheme – earn up to £500
- Free eye tests
- Professional development courses supported by a generous Academy wide training budget
- The opportunity to gain British Sign Language (BSL) qualifications up to level 3
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption pay provisions.
I want to show Deaf young people that they can overcome any obstacle, any barrier, any challenge.
Tony, Residential Care Worker